Let’s face it; the cold has come earlier this year than past years. Have you decided if you are going anywhere this year yet? Did you take all the necessary steps to protect yourself and your house?
Whether you are planning on taking a long trip or if you plan on leaving for the winter, then you’ll want to make sure that you read this so you can winterize your home properly. A&L Plumbing, Inc. wants to share some helpful tips that you can do to make your home winter ready.
First, you’ll want to clean and wash everything in your home. Consider it a winter cleaning instead of a spring cleaning.
- Clean linens (i.e. bedding and towels)
- The kitchen appliances, don’t forget the refrigerator! (No one wants to come home to rotten, smelly food).
Second, is a very important step- turning off the water supply. Leaving in the winter is great, but skipping this crucial step could cost you not only headaches, but heavy expenses.
Remember to turn off the following:
- Outside water (showers, faucets, and empty hoses).
- Refrigerator ice maker- reduces the risk of water leaks.
- Sinks and Toilets
- Water main- if you are unable to locate the main supply or have any questions, contact your local plumber to assist you.
Some electrical notes to evade combustion:
- Consider unplugging all of your appliances. Unplugging these avoids the risk of fire from a power surge or even a faulty wire (including TV/cable boxes, lighting, printers, computers, etc.)
- If you have a propane tank or natural gas line, call your local company to ask them about the precautions to take for winter.
- Set your thermostat to a temperature that will be consistent and will not let your pipes freeze, around 60 degrees.
- Close all dampers and flutes too.
- Dispose of any hazardous materials, as those can create a potential fire too.
Please take into account some security measures before you leave.
- Lock windows and doors. You may want to invest in a security system or leave some lights (that are trustworthy) on with timers, to make it look like someone is there in the evening hours.
- Lock up your valuables in a place that is unnoticeable, so if someone happens to look in they don’t see them. Do take the small items that are valuable with you.
- You may also want to have someone plow your driveway, so it looks like you are home when it snows.
- You probably want to leave your house key and your information with a relative or a close neighbor if there is some kind of an emergency. You can go to the police station to set up the constable or local police to keep an eye on your home while you’re away.
In closing, you want your house clean, water supply turned off and thermostats set properly, unplug anything that may cause a fire, and take some security measures. You’ll want to make sure that you do all, if not most, of these tips to protect your house and yourself. Here at A&L Plumbing we will take the time to provide you with the highest quality of work and can help you winterize your home today. Please call a licensed professional.
From the Glossary
The elements of a building which enclosed conditioned spaces through which thermal energy is capable of being transferred to or from the exterior or to or from spaces exempt by the provisions in Section 101.2.1.Learn More Terms »